Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bird Composers

NPR is my saving grace while I sit in city, rush hour traffic- it's the only thing preventing me from getting out my car and smacking stupid people.

"All Things Considered" had a snippet on the Brazilian musician, Jarbas Angelli; he was flipping through the newspaper when he saw a photo of the silhouettes of birds sitting on five wires. He imagined the birds as music notes sitting on a musical staff, so he composed "Birds on the Wires." It is a beautiful idea, and the music is simply lovely.

So get out there and take a second glance at things, let your mind toy with stuff and see where it takes your crafty adventures.

The other day I was in the car with my sister and I saw a tree laced with tent caterpillar nests and thought how they looked like clouds caught in the trees.I plan to use this image in a journal spread. I was driving to work a few weeks ago and was nearing a curve, the power lines' shadows curved with the road and it reminded me of piping on a cake. Keep your eyes peeled =)

*If you really get into this you are going to adore How to be an Explorer of the World by Keri Smith- it's a bunch of exercises like this using all of your senses. It's on my wish list!


NPR link to story:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2009/09/birds_on_the_wires_1.html


(If that video gives your computer trouble like it did mine, try this link:)
http://www.homepagedaily.com/Pages/article7836-birds-on-the-wire-by-jarbas-agnelli.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment